The hillfort called Gandinga Hillfort (formerly known as Gondinga) can indeed be visited near Plungė. Years ago, before the City of Plungė was founded, a well fortified Curonian castle was built on the top of Gandinga Hillfort. In the 15th century, Gandinga Manor belonged to the Grand Duke of Lithuania. However, a new settlement emerged several kilometers away from Gandinga in the 16th century. The village was first called Plungėnai and eventually was renamed to Plungė. The administration of Gandinga Volost was transferred to Plungė Manor by the Grand Duke Sigismund II Augustus in 1567. In 1779, the King of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth gave the Regional Municipality (Eldership) of Plungė to Vilnius Bishop Ignacy Massalski. Platon Zubov, courtier of the Empress Catherine the Great of Russia, purchased Plungė County in 1806. Later, in 1873, Plungė Manor and the entire town with its surrounding regions was bought by Count Michał Ogiński (1849–1902).