The red brick equestrian facility was built in 1879 following the Renaissance Revival tradition. The chariots and the horses (mostly of the Žemaitukas breed) were kept in the left wing of the building. The right wing was dedicated to the living quarters of the stable staff. Former servants of the manor narrated how well the equestrian complex was managed. The horses were groomed daily and the head groom was always dressed formally, in a white shirt with a starched-stiff collar...
During the First World War, the German military took all the horses from Plungė Manor (by that time, Count Michał Ogiński had been long dead). From 1922 to 1934, the Žemaitukas equestrian facility was used by an agricultural school, and in 1934, the artillery of the Lithuanian Armed Forces arrived at Ogiński manor and both the school and the equestrian complex were relocated.
Going back to the 19th century, there was a large music and orchestra school with 9 rooms right at the edge of the Plungė Manor Park, which was built by order of Count Michał Ogiński. This is where M. K. Čiurlionis, the future Lithuanian composer, started his musical education. Even though the music school no longer stands here, the music has never left Plungė Manor. The International Michał Ogiński Classical Music Festival is annually held at the former equestrian complex of the manor.
Post a review