The mound is located 1.8 km west of Lake Lūkstas and 0.6 km northeast of the left bank of the Domantas stream, northwest of the Cherba forest. The slopes are steep, sometimes reaching a height of 13 m, overgrown with trees and bushes. The beauty of the mound is most evident on the western side of the embankment. Here is a large cliff, at the bottom - a stream. One of the assumptions is that the 13th c. The Hypatius chronicle mentions Vykintas Castle and the former town of Vykintas nearby. According to researcher S. Kasparavičius, the mound is called the Castle Cave by the locals. Although small, the remains of fortifications or other objects that have survived well enough have been observed during the exploration of the territory. Numerous rows of broken stones are found throughout the area, clearly marking the locations of former barriers. Remains of gates leading to the castle territory have also survived. Near the main castle - a large body of water dug by hand. There are indications that there may have been graves in the castle grounds, perhaps even a place for astronomical observations. The whole complex of fortifications of the castle and the former settlement is strengthened on all sides by the waters of rivers, lakes and swamps. Such natural conditions made the castle difficult to access. The size of this impressively fortified complex shows that Vembūtai Castle was one of the largest defensive objects. There could be more military forces here than in the nearby castles of Medvėgalis, Burbiškės or Plinija. These whole castles were connected with Vembūtai by roads, and boulders or wooden floors were installed through brastas and lakes. It is believed that in 1251. the Battle of Tver mentioned in historical sources may also have taken place near the famous Vembūtai Castle.