Re-enter password

Telšiai yeshiva

In Lithuania in the 18th – 19th centuries. At the turn of the 19th century, yeshivahs, higher religious schools for young people and men, were established. 1875 The world-famous Telšiai Yeshiva was founded on the initiative of three young rabbis. The educational institution flourished when its head in 1884. became Rabbi Eliezer Gordon. He was the first in Lithuania to apply modern teaching methods: students took entrance exams, after which they were divided into groups according to the level of knowledge, which was not the case in other yeshivas. After his death in 1910. Rabbi Leiba Bloch took over the duties of the head of the yeshiva, who during his tenure (1909–1929) managed to continue to ensure the prestige of the institution (the graves of L. Bloch and his wife have survived in the Telšiai Jewish cemetery). Telšiai has become one of the most famous centers of religious studies not only in Lithuania, but also in the world.

A Jewish kosher canteen was built next to Yeshiva in the interwar period. Yeshiva's students worked there themselves, having lunch for free. The rabbi was responsible for her activities.

At the Yeshiva in 1920. "Mechina" was established - a boys' gymnasium, a unified education system was created. Rabbis from all over the world came here to deepen the knowledge of the Torah and the Talmud. At the beginning of World War II, several rabbis managed to go to the United States and establish a rabbinical school in Cleveland called Telšiai Yeshiva. The main neo-Gothic style of the historicist style in 1909, which suffered greatly during the Soviet era. the Yeshiva building was renovated in 2020.